The 2014 New Orleans Oyster Festival is this weekend (May 31 and June 1). The food is the same both days, but the music is different.
Want to see the oyster shucking contest? That’s Saturday at noon. Interested in the oyster eating contest? That’s Sunday at 11:45 a.m.
We’re tagging along with a Meetup group going Sunday at 11 a.m. Join us 🙂
The fest is at Woldenberg Park, which is next to the Audubon Aquarium of the Americas (map). We like this festival because it is free admission and there’s parking around the French Quarter. When we take a car, we usually park in the garage above Saks Fifth Avenue. Tip – if you get in before 9 a.m. at most garages, parking is $10 for the entire day.
You can also take a bus or streetcar and not fool with parking at all. It takes a little longer than driving, but it’s cheaper than parking and you don’t have to worry about a designated driver.
We went to the fest last year and had a really good time. See our pix.
Tips we learned about the New Orleans Oyster Festival:
– This is a fest that is better to attend with people who will share food with you. The food booths sell dishes for $4 to $7. The whole point, in our opinion, is to try a little bit of everything. So, get some friends together and bring extra forks. Here’s the list of vendors and the dishes they are making.
– Bring your own water. Nobody checks your bags at this festival.
– Bring plenty of cash. All the food and drink booths are cash only.
– Some people brought chairs last year and camped out in front of the stage, but the majority of people we saw were eating and walking around.
– Wear a hat and sunscreen. There’s little to no shade at this festival.
Y’all have any more tips? Please share them in the comments.
Schedule for this weekend via New Orleans Oyster Festival:
10:30am to 11:45am The Michael Foster Project 12:00pm to 12:45pm P&J Oyster Shucking Contest 1:00pm to 2:00pm Ben Labat 2:15pm to 3:15pm The Bucktown All Stars 3:45pm to 4:45pm Honey Island Swamp Band 5:15pm to 6:30pm New Orleans Suspects
|10:30am to 11:30am||The Mercy Brothers|
|11:45pm to 1:00pm||Acme Oyster Eating Contest|
|1:15pm to 2:30pm||The Mulligan Brothers|
|3:00pm to 4:30pm||Bonerama|
|5:00pm to 6:30pm||Raw Oyster Cult|