Exhibit Be calls itself one of the largest street art installations in the American South. It’s part of the citywide Prospect 3 art event, and it closes today (Jan. 19) for good. Best part – Exhibit Be is totally free.
It’s open from 11 a.m to 4 p.m. today.
For Exhibit Be, several talented street artists covered an empty apartment complex in Algiers with art. The art is meant to spark a discussion about urban blight and affordable housing, among other things. Read more about Exhibit Be.
Today, Exhibit Be is going out with a bang. There’s a full lineup of musicians, with Erykah Badu headlining. Also on today’s list:
- Dead Prez
- David Banner
- Trombone Shorty
- Hill Harper
- Edna Karr Marching Band
Did we mention this is all free? Absolutely free. There’s a donation box at the front gate but there’s no pressure to contribute.
We’ve been to Exhibit Be several times since it opened in November and we’ve seen something new each time.
Tips for your first trip:
– Free street parking is available.
– Hit the bathroom before you go. There are port-a-potties available, though.
– Sometimes there are food trucks on site, and sometimes there aren’t. It’s OK to bring water with you.
– Wear sturdy shoes. It’s an abandoned apartment complex and there are weeds and some broken glass in some places. The main part has been cleaned and is kid-friendly.
– This is a great event for kids. It’s hosted a ton of school groups. Pushing a stroller might be difficult because the sidewalks are broken.
– Bring your camera or a fully-charged phone. You are going to want to take pictures. The hashtag is #exhibitbe.
– The artists often are walking around their work. If you see someone with a volunteer or a staff badge, you can ask them to point out any artists to you.
Here are some photos from our previous trips to Exhibit Be: